Mediaservice unreliable

Moderators: Jammy, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
totty79

Mediaservice unreliable

Postby totty79 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:08 am

Hi,

I've got an ongoing problem with some music players intermittently not finding any music.
I believe I've traced the cause to the android media service. Players which simply browse for files (e.g. the included music player) are unaffected, those which scan and build their own database (e.g. VLC) are unaffected, players which rely on androids media service (e.g. cartunes) intermittently find no music.
The problem can be temporarily resolved by doing any action which forces Android to scan for media, e.g. rebooting, remounting SD card etc. It often takes several attempts and I spend more time dealing with this than listening to anything. Apps are available to trigger a re-scan, but I haven't yet tried any.
It doesn't make a difference whether the mp3 files are on SD or on the device.

What I'm looking for is either:
A solution to make the media service reliable (it has worked flawlessly on my old Galaxy S5 phone for years, but it appears to be buggy on many devices).
OR
Recommendations for a media player that will play all tracks on an SD card at random which is not reliant on the android media service (scrolling through a long list looking for tracks while driving isn't ideal, a one button play all is much better).

phreddyphrog

Re: Mediaservice unreliable

Postby phreddyphrog » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi,
0ne of the best media players out there is NEUTRON. I've tried quite a few other players and none of them come close to what NEUTRON can offer in the way of customizable options.
Give it a try, you won't be disappointed. You can find it on Google Playstore.
By the way, I am not associated with them in any way. I'm just a very satisfied user.
Fred
Fred
Pumpkin model 7", Android 7.1 - # CN01-02306B-08A
Amazon Order# 112-7988319-7148262
Purchased - 09/13/2017

totty79

Re: Mediaservice unreliable

Postby totty79 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks I'll give it a try.
Just found one simply called music player that will play all without relying on androids media service. Slightly clunky compared to cartunes but works.
Also installed a media scanner app and after a scan cartunes works again.
Order number 100002490
Quad core Android 7.1

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Android System”