Update offline US maps or alternate GPS software

Moderators: Jammy, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sssssmart

Update offline US maps or alternate GPS software

Postby sssssmart » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:04 pm

I have an Android KitKat double DIN pure Android head unit with some older maps. I can get by with them but I am finding more and more that they are dated. I have the iGO GPS software which suggests that I can go to Naviextras.com to get updates but have not seen the appropriate version of software on that site to do so. I don't want to blindly start buying things if they have no potential to work. So I thought I could get Tomtom or Sygic or some other alternate GPS software from the Play store but the problem I am running into is that the downloads want to install the maps and software on the internal SD which is not going to work. I have ample space on the Micro SD cards but no potential to install/locate the software and maps there.

Do any of you guys have recommendations? I am not married to iGO, it isn't even one of my favorites. Tomtom seems to have gone downhill according to the Play store reviews but I need to download it to the SD card anyway. I am tech savvy enough to hack something together but I see Europe or World maps but not too many USA options for iGO. Apparently they have not updated their maps in a while anyway. I don't want to buy them and find that I already had the latest version anyway.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Jammy

Re: Update offline US maps or alternate GPS software

Postby Jammy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 am

So,what you need is a TomTom map download?

By-Jammy

sssssmart

Postby sssssmart » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:08 pm

I actually like Tomtom software but it downloaded to the internal memory only and I did not see a way to put on the GPS card or microSD card. It took up 88mb which isn;t horrible but that brought my free space down to 5.3GB. That left me no room for any apps. I had choices for maps (Entire US (5.4GB), south Atlantic (smaller but I need the whole east coast instead of NC through FL), and a couple others. I saw no way to download the states I need for my road trip I am about to take without downloading entire US for which I do not have enough space on the internal memory. I have over 100 GB free on my microSD cards though. The Tomtom app wants to download the maps to internal storage only. 8GB just isn't enough memory for that. I only see the possibility to download the app from the play store. If it is possible to put the app on the microSD card and then the map downloads would go there too I would be in great shape.

I will take any option with these requirements-

1. Must work with my device. I am finding many apps say "not compatible with your device" probably due to the odd screen size.
2. Must have offline maps (preferably recent)
3. Must be able to store app and data on microSD card, (at least the map data.)

I would actually buy a new head unit if they offered one with a LOT of internal memory to install apps and the 2 microsd cards for music and map data and whatever else I want. This is probably my only complaint about these devices. I love everything else. The slow boot time kinda sucks but I understand what that is about.

I am completely agnostic with respect to the GPS app so any app which allows #1, #2, and #3 would be great. Every one I tried so far had not panned out.

The naviextras.com website requires a login and you can only get a login if you disclose the manufacturer of the device. Neither Pumpkin nor Android are options for some reason

sssssmart

Postby sssssmart » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:06 pm

I spoke with TomTom chat support. They advised me to uninstall the TomTom app then reinstall it "on the SD card". I have no idea how to do that. I even went as far as to find the .APK online. I installed it with the APK installer but it still put it on internal storage even though I selected "external". Then I tried just running the .APK from the SD card with file manager but it triggers the APK installer and puts it back on internal storage.

I also tried an app called "move to sd" but it just reported back "failed to move".

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:58 am

Hi there,

I got a way to solve this.
You download the maps from internet and put it in the SD card with your computer.
Then you insert the SD card to the radio use the APK installer.
Try this way,see if the problem can be solved.

Regards,
Jam

sssssmart

Postby sssssmart » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:59 pm

Where can you download the map to a computer from? I would gladly pay TomTom for the privilege but would need to know that the money would not be wasted. So far they just direct me to the Play store which won't do the trick. I might be able to download it to a rooted device then copy it to the Pumpkin device but not sure if it would be in .apk format.

sssssmart

Postby sssssmart » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:22 pm

I ran the APK installer and installed tomtom.apk but the only place the app will look for maps is on internal memory :-( I even tried "move to SD" app

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:10 am

Hi,
for all the android 5.1 and above device , the app only install in the internal memory .This is a reason why the internal memory become more and more large .

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Android System”