Backup camera not working on 2007 Dodge Caliber

Technical file download link of PUMPKIN device

Moderators: Jammy, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
VONNO

Backup camera not working on 2007 Dodge Caliber

Postby VONNO » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:57 am

I purchased a AA0421B-A08 and installed the unit in a 2007 Dodge Caliber and used a iDatalink Maestro to match up with the factory harness. This worked very well for the stereo and maintaining the steering wheel controls. My problem has been trying to get an aftermarket reverse/rear camera to work with the Pumpkin head unit. I have tested the camera and it is OK. But I have tried many wiring options to try and get the backup camera to come on when the car is put in reverse. Based on the wiring diagrams, the orange/white "Reverse" wire is used to trigger the camera to display on the screen. There are 2 ways to do this. One is by using the purple/white wire on the iDatalink Maestro, the other is to bring the power from the rear backup lights. But neither one work when connected to the orange/white wire.

Via e-mail response, your engineer responded that I should not use the iDataLink Maestro purple/white wire and instead, run a wire from the reverse lights to the Orange/White wire on the back of the head unit. I believe I tried that previously but am willing to try it again. But before I do, I'd like to ask an additional question about the rest of the camera wiring. The camera wire is as follows...
Front - 1 RCA video plug and a thin red wire for power
Rear - From the rear camera, there is a thin red wire and ground wire, plus the red wire and RCA video that goes to the front of the vehicle.
Based on your initial response, the front gets connected to the camera in RCA plug and the red wire goes to the orange/white Reverse wire on the stereo. In the rear, I am guessing that I run a additional wire from the reverse/backup lamp and connect it to both the camera power and the red wire that is connected to the RCA video wire that goes to the front. So my question... Does this sound correct? Does the reverse lamp wire serve 2 purposes as follows? 1) trigger the reverse camera on the head unit via the orange/white wire, and 2)power the camera? This didn't seem to work, but I'm making some assumptions on how this should be powered that may be wrong. Right now, I have the power from the light going both to the front head unit and the rear camera. Then the camera is grounded to the car close to the camera. Does this sound correct?

I can tear into the dash again this weekend. But I'd like more opinions on this to make sure my thinking is correct. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Vonno

Rigattoni

Re: Backup camera not working on 2007 Dodge Caliber

Postby Rigattoni » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:43 pm

What happens if you switch to the reverse gear?
If the unit switches to a black screen with a yellow exclamation mark, then you need to have a look at the cabling.

If nothing happens, you should change the setting for the reverse cam in Factory settings.
Settings --> Car Settings -->Factory Settings (PW = 126) --> Func and there switch the Prohibit reverse setting

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “File Download”