[ND0294B] Screen constantly dimming between brightness levels

Frequently asked questions and answers

Moderators: Jammy, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
looka

[ND0294B] Screen constantly dimming between brightness levels

Postby looka » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:42 pm

Hi guys!

I bought a ND0294B on Amazon (Germany) via a third-party seller ("SuperAuto" / "TOMIKAM LTD") and it absolutely fulfills my needs. Almost everything works good.

Cons I've discovered:
- some rare times the device freezes and then after about 30 sec. reboots.
- there was a quiet disturbing noise coming out of the speakers when playing no sounds. I've read about this in this forums. I personally found out that it depends on the ground connections the radio has. I sheathed the wires with aluminium foil, then it was gone (maybe this helps your development?)
- the WIFI antenna seems to havea very poor reach. Where my smartphones get about 50% signal strength, the radio quits! So most of the time I have to use a smartphone to extend the range of my WIFI

But that's all okay regarding to the price, the functions and the overall quality.
But the really annoying thing is, that the display is constantly dimming between brightness levels!
I have a old '99 VW Jetta (called Bora in germany, is like the Golf 4) with VR5 engine. I used the included ISO adapter cable which has no "ill" cable so far i know. The only thing I did was to connect the different "GND" cables together with a multi connector because I didn't know where to get different GND sources in the radio slot excepting the one GND that is provided by the existing cables coming from the car. So I connected this provided GND to the multi connector, to which all the GND cables from the radio are connected. (Hope you understand that)

So when using the illumination dimmer of the car, the radio goes with it and when turning on the ignition, the radio dims down. So far, so good. But as soon I start the car (so when the alternator works), the display does this annoying brightness switching. It is not constant, so sometimes it is nearly flickering and sometimes it does nothing for 10 seconds. I already changed the headlight switch and the illumination dimmer of the car, but that did not help. Next steps would be changing the alternator and the battery. But before I do that, I just wanted to ask you here :-)
I measured the current and voltage and the values were in the recommended range for the radio. I only could imagine that the alternator is not delivering a constand level of power anymore, that might affect the radio display?!

I am now running into kind of a time problem because I still have the option to return it to the seller via Amazon. Since I don't really know where the problem lies, I'll send it back for now. But there is not really an alternative for me on the market, so I think I will order the same radio again and hope that the problem will be gone with the new unit.

Is there any known issue like this?

Thanks for your audience!
Regards
Marco

spmcg

Re: [ND0294B] Screen constantly dimming between brightness levels

Postby spmcg » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:40 pm

I'm guessing you never got a reply?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General Configuration”