[AE0273B] How to upgrade Pumpkin AA0273B car stereo to Android 9.0

Frequently asked questions and answers

Moderators: Jammy, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jammy

[AE0273B] How to upgrade Pumpkin AA0273B car stereo to Android 9.0

Postby Jammy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:56 am

Hi everyone,

Now we can upgrade the AE0273B car stereo to Android 9.0. If you have an AE0273B car stereo, you can consider to upgrade it. But what we have to mention is that the upgrade is risky, so you need to think twice before take action to it.

AE0273B Android 8.0 Oreo car stereo.png
AE0273B Android 8.0 Oreo car stereo.png (313.2 KiB) Viewed 23714 times

Notice:
It is risky to upgrade a car stereo OS to Android 9.0 Pie, it will not be protected by the Pumpkin warranty terms after being upgraded.

Needed files:
Upgrade to Android 9.0 firmware(Upgrade_to_Android_9.0.rar) :
https://mega.nz/#!QTJHCYIK!HKvPp_XuHEMZ ... rk6B11hT7E
Android 9.0 update firmware(update.zip) :
https://mega.nz/#!uOBRjIpD!xqE5LR9tpgJ8 ... 2QWuq54akM

Upgrade steps:
Unpack the archive Upgrade_to_Android_9.0.rar
Insert the SD card into the card reader. It is desirable to use a small card, 2-4-8 GB.
Run Rockchip SD_Firmware_Tool.exe on a convenient Windows PC with a Micro SD card reader/writer connected to it. You must run the application as an Administrator.
You do not need to switch any settings. Everything is set up.
Click the "Firmware" button and select the file bootcard.img
Click the "Create" button, then "Yes" and wait until the message with the "Ok" button appears.
Close SD_Firmware_Tool.
Copy the sdupdate.img file to this card, replacing the existing one.

Remove the SD card from the card reader and insert it into the HU in the GPS slot.
Now you need to completely reboot the HU. This can be done by pressing the RST (Reset)
button with a paperclip etc.
If the HU does not reboot, then this button (or the Power button) must be held down until the buttons backlight flashes. Then release.
As a last resort, you can disconnect and reconnect the power cable.
When the message "Doing actions succeeded. Please remove the SD card ..." appears, remove the SD card from the HU.

HU will reboot in recovery Android 9.
Insert the USB flash drive with the update.zip firmware file, which you can find in the archive from the “Download” section, into the USB connector of the radio. USB flash drive must be formatted in FAT32.
We recommend pulling out all other flash drives, SD cards, modems and other devices from the radio jacks.

Select the menu item "Apply update system" - "From USB storage"
The firmware will be installed.
(You can use the SD card for installation, but it will be slower.)
Select the menu item "Wipe data/factory reset".
The user data will be cleared.
Select the menu item "Reboot system now".
The device will reboot in Android 9.

This video shows how to updates car stereo from Android 6.0 to Android 8.0. The procedure from Android 8 to Android 9 is similar.

bouldergeek

Re: [AE0273B] How to upgrade Pumpkin AA0273B car stereo to Android 9.0

Postby bouldergeek » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:11 pm

OK, I was able to find a link for the update package to 9.0.

Couldn't write to any micro SD cards. Just figured out that 32GB cards are not compatible for this process.

Are there any other tools that can adequately build the SD card boot disk?
Can the firmware update be installed from USB flash drive rather than SD?

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:17 am

Hello
Thanks for your message
Yes, you can try to update from USB flash drive.
Best Regards,
Jammy

mitchelln

Postby mitchelln » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:31 pm

Hi.
I've tried to upgrade my head unit using the files listed in the instructions. I've got a AE0273B as listed in this thread which is a px5 unit with MTCE, so this should work
I've carefully followed the instructions and got to the step "Apply update system" - "From USB storage"
It gets as far as verifying the update package and then fails with the error "this package is for rk3368 device; this is a px5".
So the error seems to be saying that the update.zip file linked above is not for a px5 device.
What has gone wrong?

What do I do now please to recover this?

Thanks.

mitchelln

Postby mitchelln » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:29 pm

I finally managed to get my AE0273B upgraded after a few heart stopping blank screen moments. The update.zip image must be installed via USB. Trying via SD Card just doesn't work. The problem I had is the recovery menu system does not work with any of the buttons or the dial. So you cannot select options. I had to use a USB keyboard. Hence trying to upgrade by flashing from SD card.
I then used a USB hub so I could connect both the keyboard and USB stick. I started from scratch again and it then worked.

So my AE0273B is now running Android 9. Everything works including the reversing camera and stalk buttons.
It really is a much nicer version. The radio app, for example, is a much slicker design and easier to use and the RDS and traffic functions now actually work properly.
No more annoying Touch Assistive crashes either so far.

Not sure why Pumpkin is not rolling this out to their customers as an update. The innards of this PX5 unit is exactly the same as the later Android 9 and 10 units.

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:54 am

Hello,
Thanks for your message
We are glad to hear your exllentent work, but we still do not advocate to update system, because it risk of damage car stereo and can not recover.
The status of each machine is different, Some car stereo will get stuck or get black screen after updating.
Best Reagrds
Jammy

mitchelln

Postby mitchelln » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:36 pm

Hi.

I certainly would not recommend anyone try this unless they are competent at sideloading and Android recovery procedures.

However, it shouldn't be this hard. Might I suggest a better update process? Most Android devices have OTA or simple file based updates rather than hacking about like this.

It is very unusual for a manufacturer to sell Android based devices and never provide any updates for them. You should at the very least be providing security updates.

mitchelln

Postby mitchelln » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:26 pm

An update after a couple of weeks use.

Same old annoying bugs unfortunately:
1. Fader doesn't work properly. I set it to forward to have the volume in the front two speakers only. It initially works, but then randomly the sounds starts coming out of all 4 speakers again. In the amplifier fader screen it still is showing the forward selection, so this is a silly bug still present after 2 years.
2. Once you use the radio or bluetooth audio functions, the next time you switch on it goes straight back to that app and starts playing. There is no way to turn this behavior off. I just want it to go to the home screen when I start! Why isn't this an option?
3. Reversing camera still randomly freezes. Only way to get working again is to fully power off.
4. DAB radio still does not auto mute if the signal is poor. Instead you get very loud garbled sound which is very distracting when driving. Surely it cannot be that hard to mute the sound when reception is poor.

Really disappointing to see the same old bugs still present after 2 years with a completely new version of the software. It seems Pumpkin are completely incapable of fixing issues that are reported to them.

iamhollywoodpro

Postby iamhollywoodpro » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:54 pm

Pumpkin has horrible tech and customer service. Their suggestion is always for us not to try and update because they don't want to provide us with the firmware or Os so we can buy the newest models every year this is a joke. They couldnt care less about us customers after we have purchased their HU. Been trying to get information to update my HU since 2019 and they just say sorry we can't update your device. What a Joke these guys are and they do it on purpose.

mitchelln

Postby mitchelln » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:21 pm

Yes, I have to say I agree. Hopeless service. There are silly bugs still present three generations of device later, like the balance fader constantly resetting randomly. I've reported it multiple times now and they just fob me off each time. Just poor quality code that never improves. Trouble is, they just buy it from another supplier and have no capability to develop their own software or fix bugs.
Plus they are still selling devices with low res 1024x600 displays, which Android doesn't really support properly any more. They stubbornly refuse to use higher resolution panels in their 7" double DIN units even though their paying customers keep asking. I also don't understand why they waste time developing units for high end vehicles like BMW and Audi's. Those owners are never going to replace their factory head units. Why waste time on it? The effort would be better spent on raising the quality of their generic units. The ones people actually buy. I'll not be buying another Pumpkin, we're being taken for mugs.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General Configuration”