Steering wheel remote --> keys

Moderators: Jammy, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jsedano

Steering wheel remote --> keys

Postby jsedano » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:18 pm

Hello,

I have sucessfully connected the steering wheel remote from m ycar to the pumpkin. I can use "key study" to configure which key does which action. So far, so good.

However, it only works with the stock applications. For example, if I press "next track", the next track of the stock music player is played... but I am using a third-party music player.

Is there any way, either with the stock software or with third-party applications to map the steering wheel remote to standard keycodes? Most third-party apps respond to standard keycodes, because they are provided by Android.

I have tried "tasker" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... kerm&hl=en) to automate it, but I have not found a way to launch a Tasker task for any of the keys. Also, the volume keys does not seem to control del VOLM (multimedia volume), VOLS (system volume) nor any of the standard Android volumes. Any hint?

Thanks,
J

SpaceMunkeyUK

Re: Steering wheel remote --> keys

Postby SpaceMunkeyUK » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:51 pm

I had the same issues, wanted to use BlackPlayerEX. Apparently the steering wheel controls only work with the stock apps :-/

chrisstavrou

Postby chrisstavrou » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:55 am

Hi,
Yes this is also my understanding, steering wheel keys can not be intercepted.

In case it relates to what you are looking for you may want to check the app i have developed: Apphifter, it is a work around to be able to switch between favorite apps by pressing a steering wheel key.

More info at
https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... 0-t3541581

Cheers
Chris

chrisstavrou

Postby chrisstavrou » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:17 pm

Sorry seems I got your question wrong.

I had the same problem with PowerAmp and I solved it by enabling the 'Respond to wired headset/bluetooth keys' in poweamp.

Check for relevant options in your apps.

jsedano

Postby jsedano » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:35 pm

chrisstavrou,

thanks for the ideas.

I like Music Folder Player (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... yer.donate). It seems to automatically respond to multimedia keys; in my phone it does so out of the box, and if I plug a standard USB multimedia keyboard to my pumpkin, it also seems to respond to the mmedia keys (actually, the problem woud be to disable it if I ever want to, since I do not find a way to do in the settings... but right now, it is not a problem). So the problem does not seem what you suggest.

I have instaled CarService (https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpo ... count=1179) which almost covers the functionality: I can configure it to send the standard mmedia NEXT/PREV keycodes when the corresponding steering wheel keys are pressed. I can easily create a Tasker task to activate it when Music Folder Player is on foreground and deactivate it when closed. What is the problem now? The problem is that the stock music app still responds to the steering wheel remote so BOTH music players (Music Folder Player and the stock app) start playing.

Does anybody know how to disable stock music player? Disable the key in the "Key Study" is not enough, because it is used by CarService to remap to the mmedia keys.

Any further idea?

Thanks in advance.
J

jsedano

Postby jsedano » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Hello,

as an alternate solution, I have completely disabled the Music stock application (settings, Applications, Music, disable). Now, using CarService I can redirect the NEXT steering wheel remote to the NEXT multimedia key, which causes Music Folder Player (or any other more-or-less-standard player) to move to next track. The same for PREV.

The drawback is that I no longer can use the stock Music application. Not a big lost.

However, the problem now is that, since Music is not responding to the key... Radio is. So the next Radio statio preset is selected. Aggghh!

Ok, I can also disable Radio... but then... how do I listen to FM radio? I need an alternate FM radio application. Does anybody know of an FM radio application that I can install in the pumpkin?

Regards,
J

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Android System”