Help with Google Maps

Moderators: Jammy, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jsedano

Help with Google Maps

Postby jsedano » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:48 pm

Hello,

I have just bought an Android Pumpkin head unit and it is amazing. However I am having a problem with Google Maps that would like to share with you, in case you can help me: I have not been able to start it; every time I click on Google Maps, the standard Android error "Maps stoped working" spawns and I only can click "Accept" and return to the launcher.

I have tested both with an uSD card and without it. The device is this one, without any kind of firmware upgrade (stock ROM): https://www.amazon.es/Pumpkin-Pulgadas- ... 2Bdin&th=1

I have the WiFi connection working and GPS working (for example, Here WeGO or MapFactor seem to work properly).

Any idea? Any way to find what is failing?

Thanks in advance

Jammy

Re: Help with Google Maps

Postby Jammy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:44 am

Hi,
Could you please tell us you used the Google online maps or the offline maps?
It maybe the software problem, you can first press the RST hole to reset the unit to check.
If this does not help, we can send the update firmware to you.
Here is the link of update firmware for your unit.
https://mega.nz/#!ZYFCGIZY!vlVpc2S_zPiz ... xD2mRZkC60
You just need to download the update.img file through your browser,copy it to an empty sd card with FAT32 format, insert the sd card to GPS slot.
Power on the unit, enter the Settings--about device to click system update to start and it will finish the process automatically.
Regards

jsedano

Postby jsedano » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:46 pm

Hello,

Online? Offline? Do not know.

Do you mean launching Google Maps and selecting a zone to go offline? If you mean this, I cannot do it, because Maps does not even launch up.

Or do you mean that offline maps should be downloaded from you and placed somewhere?

I will try the reset test and tell you what happens. If it does not work, do you prefer me to test to re-write the firmware or wait for info on the question above?

Thanks,

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:39 am

Hi,
That's strange, this unit can support the Google maps because the Google app is the default app installed on the unit.
There is a free maps provided by the factory, here is the link for you.
https://mega.nz/#!Jc0XnSgQ!m1wI4_byJ_Tv ... OxOK07rBEs
You can refer the below forum to download and install it, hope some help.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=27
Regards

jsedano

Postby jsedano » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:14 am

Hi,

solved. It was my fault. I will explain it to help others. In short, I was being impatient. When the device bootep up and it had wifi, automatic update of apps was launched. But I was trying to use Google Maps while it was still being updated. I guess that probably the built-in version of Google Maps is not able to talk to the server side of Google Maps. After letting it update, Maps starts up without problem.

In the meanwhile, I have been testing iGo, as you suggested. The application works, obviously. What is your plan for offline map updates? Are you or the iGo developer providing us with updated maps every while?

I still have a second question, but is not related with Google Maps, so I will open a different thread.

In the meanwhile, let me contratulate your for a great product and an excellent online support. I have not yet been able to use it intensively (it is a christmas present for my wife, so the kids cannot see it installed until after xmas), but the impressions during the testing I have made is more than promissing.

Regards,
J

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:45 am

Hi,
Glad to hear you solved the Google maps issue.
Thanks for your explain about how to download and use the Google offline maps.
For the igo maps, it does not support to update online, normally the factory will update it twice a year.
Regards

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Android System”