Firmware update policy

Technical file download link of PUMPKIN device

Moderators: Jammy, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MJW

Firmware update policy

Postby MJW » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:09 pm

I just purchased the Pumpkin Android 8.0 Double Din Car Stereo and successfully installed it yesterday. I came here looking for a firmware update since the security patch level is Oct 5, 2017. I was surprised to find that not only is firmware not available to download, but the general indication is that Pumpkin does not actually provide security updates, and discourages updating unless there is a problem. With a car stereo that has full WiFi capability and can use 4G dongles, I find it very hard to believe that you don't think routine updates are not necessary.

Prove me wrong. I want to see routine updates bringing the security patch level up to within a month or two of when Google releases them.

cybersquirrel

Re: Firmware update policy

Postby cybersquirrel » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:02 pm

Part of the price we pay for a cheap device is poor firmware update policy.

If we were paying flagship phone prices, we might reasonably expect monthly security updates. As it is, we can only really expect Pumpkin to fix problems which cause our head unit to "not be of merchantable quality", and if we aren't happy with that our only option is to vote with our feet.
[Autopumpkin order 100002307] Pumpkin CN01-02306B (kernel:20170728 security-patch-level:20170505 original) + Y0251 DAB Tuner (DAB+ version Y1.6 2017-10-25) + Y0811 Rear Camera
[Amazon order #204-1002071-0248333] Y0014 USB 3G Modem Dongle (unreliable)

Rigattoni

Postby Rigattoni » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:49 am

I think that security updates are useful and necessary, but:
It just closes theoretical gateways. There is no reported usage just now, that anyone was able to use those gateways to install anything.
The fact that there is a theoretical possibility to attach, says nothing about the practical possibility.

There are thousands of smartphones in the market which never will get any security updates, or more than 6 months later...

As long there is no reported spyware attach, or virulent attach, I keep completely calm. You guys should do the same.
Don´t visit known virus infected web sites, don´t download illegal software, don´t use illegal software and just use the car stereo where it is sold for...

Getting traffic information, play music from radio, MP3, CD, DVD, Online Radio..., navigate and that is what is it assembled for...

Just my 2 cent.

pumpkinjet13

Postby pumpkinjet13 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:22 am

At the very least we should be entitled to incremental updates which fixes bugs and enhance and improve the features of the product. this is your flagship product after all. and although it may be chinese, you do still have competition to keep ahead of .

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “File Download”