Android Auto App

Frequently asked questions and answers

Moderators: Jammy, admin

voddow

Re: Android Auto App

Postby voddow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:03 am

Unit: CN10-02201B
Amazon Order number: 302-3168126-1316346
:!:***HINT***: To all complaining about slow units: Pumpkin is limiting the maximum CPU frequency to 1200 MHz (at least for my radio-type) although they are advertised with 1600 MHz ***HINT*** :!:

voddow

Postby voddow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:27 am

What about this:
Unit: CN10-02201B
Amazon Order number: 302-3168126-1316346
:!:***HINT***: To all complaining about slow units: Pumpkin is limiting the maximum CPU frequency to 1200 MHz (at least for my radio-type) although they are advertised with 1600 MHz ***HINT*** :!:

79cz28

Postby 79cz28 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:13 am

Isn't there a way that we could just install the master Android Auto app on the pumpkin unit?

My real issue is just with the Bluetooth interface on the pumpkin unit. It requires too many button presses in order to use it. Making a call while driving is not a good idea. I don't see any way to make it usable with voice commands. The music interface to listen to my phone is less than ideal. It only has next song and previous song. It has to have the music app on the phone selected to which playlist is to be played. It's not possible to switch playlists from the pumpkin unit. Frustrating.

Has anyone found alternatives to address these shortcomings? I enjoy everything else on the unit. It's just the Bluetooth interface. Surely I cannot be the only one with this concern. Perhaps there are apps out there that can accomplish this?

I thought about transferring my phone music to the pumpkin. Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea or should I look into something else? Any recommendations?

tkdnate

Postby tkdnate » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:27 am

Why not try an alternative "Home Launcher" like Car Dashdroid - with that you only have to swipe the home screen to the left and you are presented with the bluteooth call dialling screen.

Personally - I have stopped using my phone for anything other than making calls. I have an SD card in the headunit with any music / audiobooks / movies I want to play. I also use the Spotify / YouTube / Sky Go apps directly on the headunit so the steering wheel controls work as intended.

grayfox

Postby grayfox » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Are there any plans to make the Pumpkin units compatible with the Android Auto app?

The main deficiency for the mirroring through easyconnect is that sound from the phone does not come out of the head unit. I want to be able to use google maps on my phone and have it shown on the head unit and have the voice commands (like "turn left in 200 feet") come out of the car speakers rather than the phone.

dartol

Postby dartol » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Has anyone tried the Headunit Reloaded app mentioned above? It acts like the Android Auto server. I will try that out and post the results.

dartol

Postby dartol » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:24 am

It works! :D

20180121_172217.jpg
20180121_172217.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5350 times

I purchased the full version of Headunit Reloaded through the Play store. I installed it both on my Pumpkin unit (Octa core) and on my phone, a Samsung Galaxy Note 6 Edge. You have to follow the directions from Headunit to put Android Auto on the phone in Developer mode and start the Headunit server. That will run until the phone is shut down, would have to be restarted after a reboot. Wifi options are available to connect the phone and the Pumpkin, but the best part of it is when I plug the phone into the Pumpkin's USB, it connects automatically! You do have to answer a couple of prompts on the Pumpkin to check 'always do this when this device is connected'. Also, I found the first connect or two was very slow but then it got better. Keep trying if it times out to begin with. It's a little bit sluggish, but it is working! Now I can run Waze and Amazon Music off the phone like I wanted to do. Note that in the Headunit settings there is also an option to share the Pumpkin GPS data with the phone, which will be useful if the phone is not near the windshield.

Thebigthn

Postby Thebigthn » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:00 am

Thebigthn

Postby Thebigthn » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:15 pm

Was it straight-forward to get working? I downloaded the trial, but couldn't get it to work. Not sure if it's my phone or if it's the head unit either.

Roman2jon

Postby Roman2jon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:29 am

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General Configuration”