Head unit amp draw

Frequently asked questions and answers

Moderators: Jammy, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sabreco

Head unit amp draw

Postby Sabreco » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:06 pm

I bought an Android system from Amazon (Ordered on 27 April 2016 Order # 203-7025277-2839514). I am aware of the correct way to wire the unit up no problem, but if I connected the yellow backup wire and the red ignition wire directly to the battery can you advise how many amps the unit would draw when it is on standby? I know it is the wrong way to wire it up as it can drain the batter but looking at using a solar charger on the battery to prevent that, so the amp draw would be helpful. I read that the unit draws around 100 mA on standby when wired normally but hope you have the data for my alternative approach

Jammy

Re: Head unit amp draw

Postby Jammy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:47 am

Hi, our technician said that if you connect both the red and yellow wire directly to your car battery, the unit will draw about hundreds mA.
And if you cut off the red wire when you turn off the unit, then the unit will only draw a few mA.
Regards

MiLe

Postby MiLe » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:30 am

Hi,

i have two 7", 1024*600, 5.1.1 units here (RQ0276E and RQ0259E).
If connected red and yellow wire to the battery, they both take about 500-600 mA in Standby (screen off)
In normal mode (Screen on) and Volume to 0, they take about 900 mA.

I thlink it's a bit to much to leave the unit always on, if you don't have a really huge battery ;)

I can confirm Jammys value of a 2 to 4 mA when the red wire (ignition) is cut, so not worth thinking about it.
If you don't have or find a ignition voltage wire in your car, perhaps a switch in the red wire would be helpful.

edit: After a view minutes screen off, the consumption falls to 220 mA, wich means about 2.5 Watt wich is still to much for permanent use ;)

Sabreco

Postby Sabreco » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:07 pm

Thanks both for the feedback it is helpful

So I have a reasonably large battery in my car with a 73ah capacity. So if the unit draws 220mah on standby, is that 220mah per hour the unit is drawing? Sorry if it is a dumb question but not sure of the calculation?

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:07 am

Hi,
Our technician take a conservative calculation, if the unit is on standby, and you don't start the engine, it will draw your battery with 4 days.
So that's harmful for your car, please don't try it optionally.
Regards

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General Configuration”